Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Shortest Day of the Year

Many co-workers have assured me that after today, the amount of daylight increases noticeably. I haven't found the short days to be too bad. It's true that when I leave for work around 8:30 a.m., it's still quite dark and only a bit of pink daylight is beginning to peek over the horizon. At about 2:30 p.m., the sun begins to set again. In the interim, the sun stays low in the sky, tracing a shallow arc that barely rises above the tree line.

The short days lead to a real feeling of productivity: I got up, worked out, got ready for work, ate breakfast and made it to work -- all before sunrise! And when the sun begins to set, it feels like it's time to pack things up and leave work for home. The other advantage is the possibility of seeing beautiful sunrises and sunsets everyday.

I'll be leaving tomorrow morning to spend Christmas in Paris, followed by New Year's in Amsterdam. More blogging after I return to Helsinki. New Year's resolutions include taking and posting more pictures of Finland. Happy holidays, everyone!

2 comments:

jwayland said...

Am I missing the photos you've already posted? where are my photos? What are you doing over there anyway?

Carabel said...

I haven't seen one BLEEP! photo. Nor any BLEEP fotos! Don't forget to tell us all about your trip to Paris (en francaise bien sur) and Amsterdam (in dutch - a must). did you run into Henneke?